This map is copied from the original survey, which would date to at least as early as 1825, when the Illinois state legislature created Warren County. J.P. Irvine's father, David, bought the 160-acre tract in the southeast corner of Section 8 in Tompkins Township.
1860 Young America map
The Irvines contributed part of the land that established Young America, later renamed Kirkwood. J.P.'s father, David, still owns the west half of Section 8 in Tompkins Township.
J.P. Irvine married Harriett Newell Magennis on November 13, 1861, in Warren County, Illinois.
J.P. Irvine's brother David died in the Battle of Nashville in December 1864.
The Winnebago Chief
J.P. Irvine founded The Winnebago Chief newspaper in 1866 in Rockford, Illinois.
J.P. Irvine joined a press tour to the Rocky Mountains in fall 1867. The railroad ended at Julesburg, Colorado -- the town's third site by time Irvine arrived. This modern view shows what's left of that Wickedest City in the West, a nickname earned for its concentration of saloons and gambling houses. Julesburg lives on in its fourth iteration a few miles east.
1869 Rockford map
J.P. Irvine, his wife Harriett, and their daughter Elizabeth lived in Rockford, Illinois, in the mid 1860s.
1870 Washington DC map
J.P. Irvine, his wife Harriett, and their new daughter Annabel lived in the nation's capital for about three years in the early 1870s.
J.P. Irvine signed the 1880 federal census document for Warren County, Illinois.
1890 Kirkwood map
The Irvine family still owned plenty of ground in Warren County, including a sizable chunk of Kirkwood, the town they helped establish.
Book Title Page
J.P. Irvine published only one book in his life, in 1891. This is the title page from The Green Leaf and the Gray.
J.P. Irvine's sister Sara Jane provided this particular copy of his book.
Book Dedication 2
In another copy of the book, Irvine himself inscribed it to the sister of his good friend Henry Allen.
J.P. Irvine died in October 1892 and is buried with his family in Center Grove Cemetery, a place they helped establish with land donations. The cemetery sits just north of Kirkwood, Illinois.